The lazy days of summer have arrived. The flowers are out, the grass is green, and you are wondering what to do. Why not let go for just one day, and go on a tour of Calgary: a dessert tour, that is.
- Crave Cookies and Cupcakes: Located at 1107 Kensington Road NW and 120, 815 – 17 Avenue SW. The cake itself is rich and moist, but it’s all in the creamy, buttery icing. It makes you want to be a kid again and eat the icing first – then the cupcake. Sure, all of the flavors are good, but everyone has their favorite. Kids will enjoy the simpler flavors like Va Va Vanilla or Crave-O-Licious, but there are more sophisticated flavors for the grownups such as A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts or Lemon Lime Twist. Regardless of what flavor you prefer, get to the bakery early because they sell fast. You wouldn’t want to miss out on such a good thing, would you? Go to www.cravecookies.com for more information.
- Buttercream Bake Shoppe: Located at 103, 1019 17 Avenue SW or at the Calgary Farmers’ Market – Currie Barracks. The Buttercream Bake Shoppe has over 56 different flavor combinations. They are not all available every day (see buttercreambakeshoppe.com for availability of different flavors), but still – 56! – pretty incredible, isn’t it? With so many different flavors, both kids and adults are sure to find a favorite. It might take some time to figure out which one that may be, but lucky for us, there are mini cupcakes of each flavor, so you’ll have plenty of excuses to go back. My suggestion for the kids: Rocky Road and Peanut Butter Cup. For the adults: every single flavor. Yum!
- Cookie Occasion: Located at 2107, 33 Avenue SW. There are 17 different kinds of cookies at the Cookie Occasion shop, plus more for special dietary needs. They use Callebaut chocolate, fresh, natural ingredients, and you can buy them by the dozen, if you want, and get them packaged beautifully. They have cookies like Peanut Butter, Oatmeal Chunk, and Smartie for those who prefer the classics, and more adventurous, decadent kinds such as Triple Sin with Pecans, Mud Pie Mint, and Caramel Capp for those who are looking for a little more than the ordinary from their cookie. Check out www.cookieoccasion.com for more information.
- Fiasco Gelato: Located at 736, 17 Avenue SW and 807, 1 Street SW and 207, 10 Street NW. With three locations in Calgary, Fiasco Gelato is the ideal place to pick up a delicious gelato or sorbetto that will cool you down in the summer heat. There are usually about two-dozen flavors of gelato and a dozen flavors of sorbetto to choose from, so there will surely be something to suit your – or your child’s – palate. A big bonus: gelato and sorbetto are healthier than ice cream (gelato only contains about 3 per cent butterfat, and sorbetto is water based and dairy free), so your indulgence doesn’t have to be a guilty one. Check out www.fiascogelato.com for more information.
- -Manuel Latruwe Belgian Patisserie & Bread Shop: Located at 1333, 1 Street SE. Okay, it’s a little fancy for a trip with the kids, but it is definitely a fantastic experience for the taste buds. The bakery specializes in French and Belgian pastries that are remarkably scrumptious. Yes, kids will like it too: Latruwe’s individual pastries are spectacular, but if kids (as they often do) want something more simple, head to the freezer for some ice cream – some say it’s the best in the city. Call 261-1092 for hours and more information.
Whenever you get a craving for a sweet treat in the heat of the summer, head to one of the many fabulous shops in Calgary, pick up a dessert, and enjoy – it’s good to be frivolous every now and then!